Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Impulse Buy #3 & #3a

On the eve of what is turning out to be one of the most highly anticipated days yet this year in the card blogging/collecting world I figured I would dial it back almost 365 days with another impulse buy.

I decided to add to the anticipation and grab 2 packs of;


I have collected a few singles from this set but never opened any packs until now. I am growing to like the design and overall idea of the set, maybe someday I will collect it but for right now I think I will ride out the wave and enjoy the ride vicariously through fellow bloggers.
Upon first impression I liked that all the packs in the box at the hobby store felt the same. What I mean to say is that I like how, it seems to me, that simple pack searching by bending would yield no clues as they were all fairly unbendable. I am a fan of dummy cards used to discourage dummys.

Okay, let's get to the packs.

Pack #1

The first card to see daylight is a confirmation that the card gods have a wicked sense of humor. This will be explained soon.

First out, the man who looks like he wears Depends under his uniform, Jorge Posada.


I cannot explain my dislike of Posada, all I know is that it exists. I cannot explain why I dislike lima beans, spinach or cauliflower either. Jorge Posada is kinda like that.

Next up are Scott Rolen, Jeremy Hermida and Jeff Clement;


The mini parallel belongs to Richie Sexson. I can see how it would be addicting to chase the mini cards, they're kinda fun and even though they are a parallel they look distinct enough to be their own card. Nice!


Next is the card that made this pack unbendable and therefore, IMHO, helps to discourage the quick pack searcher. I know somewhere out there that someone is collecting this set. If this is one you need, let me know and I will send it on its way. The great state of Nebraska is represented by Alex Gordon.


And finally pack #1 ends off with the non-baseball card of WNBA star Lisa Leslie. Damn, she netted over 5,000 points too!! Ya see, this is what I am discovering I like about A&G. I like cards that teach me a little something along the way.


Not a bad pack at all in my estimation. As I said, I have never cracked this stuff so I have no idea how it should be but I liked this pack. All except for Posada. BTW, Topps, if you noticed the card count there, it was 7. Pack says 8. Makes me think Jorge had something to do with it.


Pack #2

I mentioned earlier how I would explain that I knew the card gods had a wicked sense of humor. Well, here is the proof. The first card to see daylight from pack #2 is...................


YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YAY!!!!!!!!!!!YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....'nuff said.

This trio of cards includes a guy who used to be a staple on my Fantasy Baseball staff when I had a Fantasy Baseball staff, a player who is much loved in Calgary and one of the better baseball names going. Roy Oswalt, Brian McCann and Wily Mo Pena.

This pack's mini is of Jeff Francoeur. I used to like the Braves at one point, never enough to cheer for them but definitely enough to watch them and appreciate their talent. Smoltz, Glavine and Maddux were a great time. Now, not so much.


The unbendable card from this pack is another state representation card for Utah featuring Brandon Lyon with a mysterious divot on his right eye. Perhaps the oddest packaging dent I have ever seen.


The non-baseball card in this pack is my favorite of the pack. I mean seriously, come on, who would not get excited over a card featuring a Champion Bass Fisherman. Even Kareem would say this is a cool card. Kevin Van Dam.


And finally this pack comes to a close with the full 8 promised cards. Perhaps the diaper wearing catcher from The Bronx was too full to devour this card. Eugenio Velez in all his rookie glorinessity.


I hope you enjoyed this 2009 A&G's Eve refresher of last years crop. I am glad I could contribute to the anticipation and I will definitely be looking forward to the flurry of posts starting later this week. I am especially looking forward to how the Gint-A-Cuffs Melee over at Beardy's Baseball Blog is going to play out.

Stay tuned.................

Cheers,

1 comment:

  1. diaper wearing catcher! I love it!

    Oh. and I'm winning the Gint-A-Cuffs... it just hasn't been announced yet.

    ReplyDelete