Saturday, March 19, 2011

Then There Were Two........Well, Three, But......

Ever since I saw them on the sell sheet I knew I was going to build the set. Perhaps my relative newness back into collecting has yet to jade me, but, I am still quite content with the retro design releases that Topps is putting out there and the Series 1 Kimball Champions set satisfies.

This 50-card set done in the exact style of its namesake, the 1887 'Champions of Game and Sport' set released by the W.S.Kimball Tobacco Company. While the original set showcased sports of all kinds, containing only 4 cards devoted to baseball, this set obviously focuses on strictly baseball. I have no issue whatsoever with retro-themed sets like this being included as an insert in a modern product. Aside from the established sets like Heritage, Allen & Ginter and Goodwin Champions this is where retro-themed sets belong, as an enhancement. I am interested to see what happens with Gypsy Queen and how collectors embrace the "new kid on the block".

However, do not take my word for it. Judge for yourself.






As I am sure you have noticed there are a few blank spots in the pages there. I am down to the last few cards needed to complete this set and this is where you, loyal reader, factor in to the equation. I need your help. The last three cards I need are ;

#11 - Starlin Castro
#37 - Stephen Strasburg
#47 - Brett Anderson

I am pretty sure that the Starlin Castro card was pulled in the group break over at 'A Cardboard Problem' so essentially I am down to only the Strasburg and Anderson. I purchased a few lots off of eBay so duplicates/traders are not a problem. If you are working on your own set and can help me out I can easily send you a list of what I have. I also have a number of other inserts from Series 1 that can be sent your way, if you so choose.

Let me know what I can do to finish off this set and make those pages look pretty and complete.

Cheers,

4 comments:

  1. I have 47. Let me look at your other lists. We seem to collect a lot of the same stuff.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I've got the Strasburg #37 to finish things off. I'm still missing a bunch of Kimballs and also see things on your trade list I like so I know we can work something out. steven dot drennen at gmail dot com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steven - email sent.

    Paul - shoot me off an email and lets see how we can help each other.

    Thanks to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the Castro here for you from the break, and I have a Strasburg you can have if you didn't get it yet.

    I can put them all in the box I have for you. Let me know.

    ReplyDelete