Sunday, August 1, 2010

Gint-A-Cuffs Deux - Box 2 (Packs 19-24 & Box Topper)


FanofReds has posted everything but his last 2 packs from his break so I figure I might as well post the last of my second box. Time to bring it on home........


Pack #19 - 9 pts

The Points

AGHS3 Derek Jeter 'Baseball Sketches' (+3 - BHS, +2 - FPL, -1 - He's a Yank)


WGWS2 William Shakespeare 'The World's Wordsmiths' (+4 - WGW)


TDH59 Hunter Pence 'This Day In History' (+1 - TDIH)


*This is the first pack where none of the base cards scored for me. I guess all streaks must end. Also, I have to call this a successful break, looking over the 'Wordsmiths' checklist I have pulled the two that I would REALLY want in Poe and Shakespeare. The only other name I see that I would have been happy to get is Victor Hugo. I still may try and chase this set though. Hard to believe that Dickens did not make the cut, speaking of which I have a post in the works about Charles.*

The Point-less

56 Shin-Soo Choo
38 Tiago Della Vega
166 Chris Tillman
40 Carlos Beltran
294 Buster Posey




Pack #20 - 9 pts

The Points

275 Clayton Kershaw (+2 - FPL)


299 Robinson Cano (-1 - Cano, he's a Yankee dontchya know!!!)


319 Austin Jackson (+2 - SP)


207 Wandy Rodriguez (mini) (+3 - Black border)


TDH24 Joey Votto 'This Day In History' (+1 - TDIH, +2 - FPL)


*Another bonus in the box as that is the third black border mini I have pulled*

The Point-less

95 Judson Laipply
60 Chris Davis
'Crack The Code' Ad Card




Pack #21 - 11 pts

The Points

AGR-KB Kyle Blanks Bat Relic (+8 - Relic)


322 Gary Matthews (mini) (+3 - SP)


TDH75 Mariano Rivera 'This Day In History' (+1 - TDIH, -1 - Have I said how much I hate the Yankees lately?)


*YESSSS!!!!!! I am not sure if it counts as one but I had assumed the Printing Plate was my third hit of the box. This will definitely help the scoring for Gint-A-Cuffs. One thing I have noticed about the relics this year as opposed to last year, they look tiny and unimpressive. At least with the white plastic border that was around last year's window it was not glaringly obvious just how small the swatch/relic you got was. This year it looks kinda ridiculous.*

The Point-less

128 Hans Florine
236 Shawn Johnson
220 Manny Ramirez
278 Jeff Francoeur




Pack #22 - 7 pts

The Points

26 Andy Pettitte (-1 - Seriously?? Dammit!!!)


258 Ryan Dempster (+1 - MFT)


350 Alcides Escobar (+2 - SP)


NA34 White-Tailed Deer 'National Animals' (mini) (+2 - NA)


TDH62 Kevin Youkilis 'This Day In History' (+1 - TDIH, +2 - FPL)


The Point-less

280 Koji Uehara
190 Randy Wolf
35 John Lackey




Pack #23 - 7 pts

The Points

246 Geovany Soto (+1 - MFT)


MM3 Stegosaurus 'Monsters of the Mesozoic' (mini) (+3 - MOTM)


TDH17 Joe Mauer 'This Day In History' (+1 - TDIH, +2 - FPL)

*The last three packs and NOW the Cubs start falling. The cynic in me is now thinking that the box after this one I picked up was Choc-Full-O-Cubs!!!*

The Point-less

46 Alan Francis
45 Justin Verlander
111 Josh Willingham
102 Torii Hunter
74 Ryan Ludwick




Pack #24 - 6 pts

The Points

23 Joe Mauer (+2 - FPL)


340 Brad Lidge (+2 - SP)


NA46 Ring Tailed Lemur 'National Animals' (+2 - NA)


*You may notice no 'This Day In History' card was scored here. Earlier in the break I had a pack with two, looks like this was its rightful home. No bonus for me.

The Point-less

30 Rafael Furcal
135 Ken Blackburn
187 Jair Jurrjens
259 Scott Feldman




6-pack Total - 49 pts


Finally, this time I saved the Box Topper until last as kind of a nice bookend to my first attempt at Gint-A-Cuffs. Box 1 started with a Cabinet Card and Box 2 ends with a Cabinet Card.

Box Topper - 8 pts


Cabinet Card - Alaska Pipeline


Box Topper - 8 pts
Packs #1-6 - 57 pts
Packs #7-12 - 51 pts
Packs #13-18 - 75 pts
Packs #19-24 - 49 pts

Grand Total Box #1 - 240 pts


Kind of ended on a whimper there, would have loved to have gone out with something big but such are the breaks. Thanks to the printing plate this entry turned into a respectable one for this competition. With the chances of some serious pulls available this year I think the winning score will be closer to 300. However, I am really happy with this box and have totally enjoyed competing in Gint-A-Cuffs this year. Thanks to Beardy for creating the fun and thanks to Mark's Ephemera for doing an incredible job as Commish. I cannot begin to imagine the work that goes into developing a scoring table and then the painstaking task of overseeing the competition.

I am already beginning training for next year's competition.

Cheers,

No comments:

Post a Comment