Saturday, June 12, 2010

Box Break - 2010 Topps Series 2 Jumbo - Pack #10

Well, here we are....finally. 10 days ago I brought home a brand new full box of Topps Series 2 Baseball Jumbo Packs. Everything was shiny and new and expectations were high for what we might see throughout this box break. When this break started Stephen Strasburg and the 661 fiasco was only a marketing idea, it had yet to be employed. All that is left now is to see what the Bambino has to offer. We started with Babe and we are ending with Babe........

.....but.......

....before we do, there is a bit of business to take care of. Along the way I have been counting down my 'Top 10 Favorite Television Show Theme Songs'. With this last mack we also reach what will be my #1 choice. My favorite, if you will. Let us recap, shall we?

#10 - It's Gary Shandling's Show
#9 - Taxi
#8 - The A-Team
#7 - The Muppet Show
#6 - S.W.A.T.
#5 - Doctor Who (Tom Baker years)
#4 - The Mod Squad
#3 - Sanford & Son
#2 - M.A.S.H.

..and...

There is not a single thing about this song, this show, this opening sequence or the actors in it that does not epitomise COOL!!

#1 - Hawaii Five-O



Simply Awesome!!!

Seeing as this is pack #10 of the jumbo box I am not expecting too much. We have the three "hits" guaranteed on the packaging and I already have a completed base set. All I am hoping for now is a collation error and a pack full of Chicago Cubs and Toronto Blue Jays.

Unfortunately the QC was working diligently this time at Topps. I did at least get one of each. Aramis Ramirez of the Chicago Cubs and Dustin McGowan of the Toronto Blue Jays.

All that is left worth showing is the inserts, everything else is just doubles at this point. The Gold parallel card is a checklist featuring Evan Longoria and B.J. Upton #d 1259/2010. I forgot how much I liked the design of the 1992 40th Anniversary Topps set until I pulled the Griffey card that might have been thrown away by, as dayf puts it, YO MAMMA!. The 'History of the World Series' card tells me just how happy the Brooklyn Dodgers were when Johnny Podres led them to their first WS win in 1955.

The 2020 3D All-Star set is one that grows on you. The more you look at it the more you appreciate it. I am definitely going to create a want list for these cards, but I won't need to want David Price, I got 'em. Adam Dunn takes a practice swing on his 'Turkey Red' card and the 'Peak Performance card features Mike Schmidt's unfathomable feat of hitting 4 Home Runs in 4 consecutive at-bats, TWICE in his career. Even more amazing is that he did it once in a single game.

In a last ditch attempt to get me to like 'Legendary Lineage' Topps gave me one featuring Jackie Robinson. Even with Ichiro on the other side I am not sold on this set. Sorry Topps.

The set that I am sold on is the 'Vintage Legends' set which puts heroes of yesterday in designs of Topps cards from....well....yesterday, but not the same yesterdays. Anyway, Cy Young looks as powerful as ever in the 1987 Topps wood grain Allstar design.

This is the final Topps 'Million Card Giveaway' redemption card from this box and my last shot (probably) at getting a Stephen Strasburg 661. It all rests on Ichiro now.

The transmorgifier says........

After working my way through the the whole box I am left with the same conclusion I am always left with when it comes to base Topps. How can you not be pleased with this product. It delivers on every level. There are some things that may need tweaking but overall it is another solid release. The only real problem I had with this box is the number of mis-cut cards. All totaled there were 22 cards that were off-centre or mis-cut, in this day and age those should never make it in to packs.

For those who have stuck with me and followed throughout this break I not only thank you but congratulate you as well. I hope you enjoyed the addition of my 'Top 10' list as well. If you want to create your own 'Top 10' list and leave it in the comments to this post, please do so. I would be interested to see what your choices are.

Until the next break on LFB2b, thanks for reading.

Cheers,

1 comment:

  1. Solid break.

    But I'm still stuck on Hawaii Five 0 as the best theme song.

    If I'm going memories as a kid - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, I can still sing every line.

    Grown up show, though? I'd have to go NYPD Blue. The drum sequence in that opening shot just set the tempo.

    ReplyDelete