Monday, June 29, 2009

Mail Day (aka Oh, Peachy Keen eBay!!)

The week always starts better for me when envelopes appear in the mailbox. Today was a purchase from eBay that, while taking some time to get here, nevertheless arrived. Today's package also helped me finally decide what to do about the whole "to build or not to build" question.

Five more cards arrived today that puts me closer to completion of the O-Pee-Chee Baseball Preview Insert cards from Series 2 Upper Deck. So far, all of the cards I have seen from the preview set have been what I had hoped for the actual release. No posed/portrait photos and definitely no frighten-the-children-make-me-uncomfortable, look-very-creepy-kind-of-stalker-unibomberish close-up head shots.

The first two out of the envelope are two of the best catchers in the majors, Joe Mauer and Russel Martin.


The last three cards feature Jose Reyes, Daisuke and Jimmy Rollins. Why has no one adopted the "single-name" address of Daisuke like they have Ichiro? I think I might start a movement to do just that. If it takes then the next person to be treated to the "single-name" treatment should be someone with the plainest name in the majors. I just find it kind of ridiculous.


So, as I said earlier I finally made a decision about whether or not I will build this O-Pee-Cheap knock-off. I am going to finish the insert set of what should have been. From the actual release I will only collect certain players and all Blue Jays and Cubs players. I will post a list of traders in the near future and if anyone has doubles to offer up of Jays, Cubs or players bunting please let me know.

Sorry UD, I want you to know that I REALLY tried to make this work. I tried to find a way to accept you for who you are but in the end I think I just am incapable of this. I guess what I am trying to say is, it's not you it's me. Let's just leave it at that and I'll call you sometime. Okay?

Cheers,

4 comments:

  1. silly, silly dave... Martin is not even the best catcher in the N.L.
    not even close...

    ReplyDelete
  2. As biased as I am with Martin being a Canuck, I still concede that there is a boy from Athens, Georgia who MIGHT stake claim to being halfway decent....lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In terms of fielding, I'd take Martin over McCann any day. Until this year, I would've said they were even offensively. Russ seems to have lost his mojo at the plate, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. McCann and Mauer are the two best hitting catchers of our lifetime. In two years, no one will even rememebr Martin.
    Mark it down.

    ReplyDelete